Wednesday, April 20

Family Meal Rules

I come from a long line of talkers. No, let me amend that... I come from a long line of southern women (same difference). A topic touched upon quite regularly was the evening meal. I thought they were nuts, but over the years I can see they were on to something. 
Here's  my mom in, yep you got it... apron and heels fixing dinner as a newlywed.
1. 
Set the table every night. Knife and spoon on the right, fork on the left. Even if you are just eating leftovers or fast food, it makes the meal important.
2. 
Weeknight meals are those that can be on the table in 30 minutes or less. 
3. 
Why say something out loud if it isn't interesting? That's just a waste of breath. So create interesting conversation. "What happened today that was amazing, gross, exhausting, etc?" and lots of "What would you do ifs ?" 
4. 
Remember it's not just the food that's important. It's the joy of sitting together around the  table, the only distraction being the outrageous comment my mom could always come up with if things got to dull. 


Don't get discouraged, it takes time and a lot a grumpiness till things fall in line.